Friday, February 17, 2012

Samoa Whoopie Pies

Hello all,

Today I bring you another whoopie pie, but I must tell you, these are not like any other whoopie pie you may have tried before...


This is your favorite Girl Scout Cookie reborn into a decadent, moist, delicious dessert that is still easily portable and extremely addictive.

That's right: Samoas. My absolute favorite cookie ever.  The only issue I have with them (which I think you will all agree is a legitimate one) is that they don't put anywhere near enough cookies in one of those boxes. Let's be serious here Girl Scouts: I want to eat more than the meagre sixteen you put so delicately into one box. Okay, I know sixteen doesn't sound meagre, but leave that box in a kitchen with family members or roommates and you will realize that it is indeed never enough.

Now I know it's because they're delicate little cookies, and that it's really just the way the Girl Scouts get us to buy oh, say, a dozen boxes of each type of cookie, but I can't take it anymore. I need instant Samoa gratification and I need it now.

So, I found this stellar recipe on SweetLittleDetails and had to test it out for myself. How hard could it be?







Well, they're not so much difficult as they are a laborious. It's a many stepped process, but every step is needed to achieve chocolatey, caramel, coconut perfection.

Sigh. My life is complete.




Still want more? Check back next week for my final post on these sweet little sandwiches with Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies!

Samoa Whoopie Pies Via SweetLittleDetails


1 2/3 cups flour 
2/3 cup cocoa powder 
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup softened butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1 cup toasted coconut
1 cup chocolate chips, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate, larger bowl beat butter, shortening and sugar for a good 5 minutes or until well incorporated. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3. Beat in flour mixture and milk in two additions (1/2 flour + 1/2 cup milk, repeat) until well incorporated.
4. Measure out tablespoonfuls of batter onto cookie sheet, leaving plenty of space between for spreading. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until whoopie pies spring back lightly when touched. Let cool 5 minutes on pan before moving to cool entirely on wire rack.
Toasting Coconut: Spread coconut out onto rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
Chocolate Drizzle: Melt chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl on 30 second intervals until completely melted.
Caramel Buttercream
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup caramel syrup
1 tbsp + 2 tsp milk
3 cups powdered sugar
1. Beat butter and brown sugar, then beat in salt, vanilla, caramel syrup, and milk.
2. Slowly beat in powdered sugar.
Assembling Whoopie Pies:
Match up cookies according to size and pipe buttercream onto one cookie. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of buttercream and then drizzle with chocolate. Place other cookie on top, pressing gently to secure. 

10 comments:

  1. YESSS BRILLIANT! You are my hero. Please send me a lifetime supply so I never have to leave my house. I will live on these alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks thesmartcookiecook!

      I love being someone's hero! Especially when it's because of my baking teehee. If I could I'd achieve world peace by sending everyone whoopie pies :D

      Delete
  2. I would also like to add that this is the most brillant idea! I can only imagine how happy my tummy would be with one of these in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily!

      Definitely try them out - you won't be able to get enough of them in your tummy once you do :D

      Delete
  3. Oh these look and sound wonderful! Finding it hard to look away from these photos, I would probably eat the entire batch myself. Thanks for sharing, thrilled to be your newest follower! Buzzed ya =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Free Spirit Eater!

      So happy to have you OnSugarMountain as my newest follower! Always makes my day. :D

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness these are delicious. Totally loving these whoopie pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim Bee!

      We definitely loved them back at my apartment :) Hope you end up trying them out for yourself; trust me you'll never want to go back to the original cookies after these.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow... my husband would commit a felony for these as Samoas are his all time favorite Girl Scout cookie. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet!

      Samoas are my dad's favorite Girl Scout Cookie as well; he was so jealous that I made these at school and not just for him at home!

      Delete