Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lemon Streusel Coffee Cake Muffins

Hello all!

So I learned something while preparing for this post:

working with lemons in baking is tricky.



Case and point: this recipe I am sharing with you is the third attempt at lemon muffins in the past three days. Dedicated? Yes. Obsessed? Maybe just a little. But I just couldn't get it right until today.




For starters, however, when a recipe tells you to take 2 whole lemons, slice them in quarters, place in the blender, and then use that mixture in the muffins just stop and say no. This is a muffin PSA from me to you: don't do it. There's no way this will work out well, and do not succumb (like I did) and think that since it's a recipe on a decent-looking food blog, they will turn out great. In reality, it will be like chewing on a giant piece of lemon with bits of muffin on it.

But, after all the lemony labors of love, I have these little sweeties to show for it:




Lemony sweet and fun to eat! The coffee cake has just the slightest hint of lemon that gets amplified by the lemon glaze that catches to every inch of the crumbly struesel topping.

So, seeing as how I now have breakfast for the week, I can say it was all worth it. Not to mention during all of this the kitchen smelled lemony fresh! I hope you enjoy baking these up for yourself, knowing that it is both tested and approved by your truly.


 
Lemon Baking continues with the next post OnSugarMountain for Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Cookies!

Happy Baking!

Lemon Streusel Coffee Cake Muffins Via SimplyScratch

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda   
1/2 cup butter at room temp.

1 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tbsp white vinegar + enough milk to make 1 cup)

For the Topping:
1 3/4 cup  flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, cubed

1 tsp salt

Lemon Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice


**Preheat oven to 350 and grease one 12-cup muffin pan OR one 6-cup jumbo muffin pan**


1. To make the topping: mix together the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry cutter (or two knives) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Keep in fridge while whipping up everything else.
2. For the muffins: Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter together until creamy. Add lemon zest and beat in each egg, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Mix in the vanilla.
3. Alternately fold in the flour mixture and the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour.
4. Fill each muffin cup in pan 3/4 full. Sprinkle topping over muffin batter. 
5. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes for standard sized muffins or 40-45 minutes for jumbo muffins. Let cool completely before removing from pan.

22 comments:

  1. A recipe said to blend lemons and put them in the muffin mix!? MADNESS! Perhaps the person in question didn't have a tongue.. Or was like.. I dunno.. a fruit bat or something.

    Great post anyway! They look delicious! :)

    Liam @ buttercarb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liam!

      I would agree that it is madness as well from my own experience, though Janet (lower comment down) suggested that she has done it successfully, albeit not in the same fashion. So maybe there is hope for an all-out lemon muffin after all.

      Delete
  2. I can see why you were so dedicated to making these right - those photos are being devoured by me - delicious recipe :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Choc Chip Uru!

      It means alot to know the hard work paid off both for my readers AND my stomach :)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I have used ground up lemons in muffins ok... mind you, it was only ONE and it was a thin skinned Meyer Lemon plus I ground it in a food processor not a blender so it got quite pureed so that may have been the difference. I would think that regular lemons would be too thick skinned and too pithy to work. Ugh.

    That aside though, these look great! They look so light and fluffy and I love the glaze dripping down on them. I really need to go make these now :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Janet!

      Your use of a whole lemon sounds much more feasible and I don't doubt they came out delicious. I should've known when I saw how big the pieces stayed even after being in the blender for so long. Well, to each her own when it comes to lemons and muffins!

      Hope you enjoy trying these out :D

      Delete
  4. Lemons in the blender? That's just crazy talk. I can see why you're telling us to resist. Thanks for the blog award, BTW--I plan to plug your blog in my next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome Cucina49! All of us up and coming bloggers gotta stick together you know? We make just as delicious food as those major bloggers we all aspire to, and when I knew the details of the award I immediately thought of you :)

      And thanks ahead of time for the mention in your post! :D

      Delete
  5. Wow! These look fabulous, will definitely be trying this recipe. Thank you so much for not giving us ground up lemons, I'm not sure I could have made that recipe. It just sounds wrong! I'm gonna try Lemon Cheesecake Creme Brulee bars soon to use up all of my lemons. Have you tried them before and if so, what is your take on them?

    Happy Baking!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Baker Becky!

      Lemon Cheesecake Creme Brulee...I think I just started salivating onto my keyboard. I have not tried them before (sorry I can't give you my personal thoughts on them) but now I know to go hop over to your blog to see how they came out! Good luck :D

      Delete
  6. these look entirely too good. I am going to have to make these this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahah I love this post, just made me laugh :) All of your work paid off because these look awesome! Cakey muffins are the best too, and add lemon? ...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina!

      I'm so glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  8. Those muffins are amazing, and I do agree with you from my experience- using any kind of fruits in large amounts can be tricky. I read once that its something to do with acids in fruits that stop cakes/muffins from growing. In case of those well puffy muffins using a lemon and orange zest is much better. If you ever want that chewiness in the muffins I do recommend candied lemon and orange! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Little Housewife!

      I agree; I think the acid could definitely have been the culprit here. Candied lemon and orange sounds divine though; thanks for the tip. :D

      Delete
  9. Thanks for all the recipe testing (and re-testing). I love the lemon glaze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliotseats!

      It's a duty I am proud to take on...to bake and test and eat and share :)

      Delete
  10. These DO look perfect, Jess! I love the drip of the glaze - yum! Can't wait for the cookies post :D Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crunchy Creamy Sweet!

      I was SO happy that I was able to catch the glaze moving over the muffins like that with my camera..it's as close as I can get to giving you all the real experience :)

      Delete
  11. This muffin looks perfect because I love lemon cake and streusel is such a great topping. :) Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curry and Comfort!

      Citrus in baking is one of my faves as well and who can say no to streusel? :D

      Delete