Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Disastrous Donuts

Friends,

I am still in shock. A mad attempt to fill donut cavities with a would-be Cinnamon Roll Donut Recipe turned quickly into smoke and cinnamon topping oozing out of my precious BabyCakes Donut Maker.


The Horror! The Absolute Donut Horror!

Sigh. Fortunately no one (other than my appetite, and that ever-sensitive ego) was hurt by this event. As much as I love my little Donut Maker, I have come to the realization that not every donut can be made in it; some require the stability of a donut pan. See, with a donut pan, one can move calmly and easily with the preparation of a donut batter. The pan is not hot to the touch, like the donut maker will be once it has preheated and stares at you mockingly, just ready to burn you and/or your precious donuts.


For multi-step donuts, as these Cinnamon Roll Donuts were, there is no mad dash to fill the donut pan with one liquid before quickly grabbing the second to pour over it. Over filling a donut pan just results in ugly, misshapen donuts, which can most likely be fixed by a little knife-work and a generous dollop of frosting or a simple glaze. Over filling in the donut maker means be prepared to witness smoke and oozing liquids that result in over-baked donuts, and a sad baker.

Baking, for me, should be relaxing. It's fun. It's delicious, and it brings smiles to the faces of the friends I share my sweets with each day. This was neither fun nor delicious, and stamped quite the unattractive scowl on my face while I scraped burnt cinnamon sugar off the Donut Maker.

Lesson Learned? Absolutely. The donut maker may sound like a shortcut, but it's not one that's actually going to alleviate stress or result in a better end-product. Take the plunge; invest in a few multi-sized donut pans, and bake away. I know I will.

Until next time,

Happy Baking!

3 comments:

  1. I've never made donuts. I'm so sorry these didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm glad that your donut maker wasn't harmed making them. Sorry they didn't turn out. I bet they were still delicious though!

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that is disastrous indeed! Well, at least you learned a lesson. I've had similar issues with my babycakes cupcake maker. They're a pain to clean!

    ReplyDelete