Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Muffins

Muffins Again?!
Yes. I know. I have a problem, but after you try this recipe you too will share in my obsession with the so-called "ugly cupcake".
I apologize for the lack of posting, but with the end of the semester and flying down to Florida to visit the parents, I didn't have as much time as I would've liked to whip up more sweet treats. Though, now that I'm settled in and my papers are done, I can finally share this amazing recipe with you all.


Strawberries are not quite in season just yet, but for some reason I had a really strong craving for them. One could blame it on this strangely beautiful Florida weather, or as I'd like to think the over abundance of holiday recipes on FoodGawker has got me searching for goodies that don't involve peppermint or eggnog. Tis The Season to be sure - but strawberries can be festive too...in Florida anyway.

Oh and for that saying "muffins are just ugly cupcakes" ? I present these lovely beauties as evidence that muffins are downright awesome in their own right - and don't need to "lower" themselves to cupcake level by being smothered with frosting.



Note: I do love cupcakes, and I'm not suggesting that it's wrong to enjoy frosting, since I can pretty much polish off a can of Duncan Hines on my own. I'm just suggesting that muffins and cupcakes are completely different baked goods and are both awesome in their own ways. And there you have it - political correctness and equality for all even in the world of baking, who knew.




These are absolutely fabulous. The muffin itself is dense and holds up well with the fruit juices that come oozing out of the ripe berries, and is truly reminiscent of a strawberry shortcake. I think this recipe could be great with any fruit actually, and I plan on testing it out with blueberries or perhaps adding kiwis along with the strawberries. Hmm...I feel the beginnings of some wonderful fruit focused baking in the future!



I hope you all are having a splendid holiday season and spending plenty of time in the kitchen, whipping up delicious eats with loved ones. Maybe you will even give this one a try. Happy Baking!

Strawberry Shortcake Muffins via SeasonsandSuppers
yield: 12 muffins

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
1 1/2 cups strawberries, quartered

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line/spray a 12-cup muffin pan
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl.
4. Cut butter into small pats. Drop into the flour mixture and then using a pastry cutter (I used my whisk) cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles small- pea sized balls.
5. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in strawberries.
6. Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full and bake at 350 for roughly 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Be sure to let them cool completely in the pan before removing to a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. Oh these remind me of summer. Keep the recipes coming as long as they give me a hint of warmer weather. It will help me get through the snow.

    ReplyDelete