I have big news!!
I met someone who knew me from my blog!!
He came to baking club last Friday and after introducing himself, said to me "Hey, you're that girl who writes On Sugar Mountain right?"
I almost died of excitement right there. I thought perhaps someone had mentioned to him that I blog, but then my VP told me he had been in the back baking cupcakes and talking about my Red Lobster Biscuits and had no idea I was the head of the club.
Life is good.
So I believe it's time to celebrate, and I see no other way than to whip up these comforting Chai Spiced Cookies and scarfing down as many of them as possible, with or without a Chai Tea Latte.
Whether you've had a bad day and need a pick me up OR have had a great day and believe you deserve something awesome (which you totally do, good day or bad day) these cookies will definitely hit the spot.
I have to admit I was a little concerned about adding black pepper to the range of spices, but the cookies come out wonderfully warm and spicy without any trace of just "pepper" flavor.
Other than pepper you've got ground ginger, allspice, and once again my vietnamese cinnamon. I can never find cardamom so I just threw in equal parts of the other spices to make up for it and no harm done.
These cookies are best eaten the day of when they are still pillowy soft and warm from the oven, but if you keep them in a tupperware they will stay for a few days.
You know, in case you aren't like me and can't eat dozens of cookies in one day.
I hope you are all have fantastic weeks as well! If not, spend some time in the kitchen with these Chai Cookies. You can use your hands to mix the dough, and I find kneading cookie dough to be one of the best stress relievers out there.
Right after eating said cookie dough instead of baking it.
Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies Via MyBakingAddiction
1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cardamom (or just more of the other spices if you can't find it)
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl whisk together sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice and black pepper until evenly incorporated. Reserve 1/4 cup of this mixture in a small bowl for rolling the cookies.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Cream butter and sugar-spice mixture until light and fluffy, then beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing until well incorporated. (use clean hands if necessary!)
5. Scoop out about 2 tsp of dough, roll into ball, and roll in reserved sugar-spice mixture. Place on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1/12 inches between cookies for spreading
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. They will look undercooked - take them out anyway and let them cool for 2 minutes on the sheet before removing to wire rack.