Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Twix Brownies

Hello friends!

So now that I am back in Florida and pretty much have the whole kitchen to myself, I was almost at a loss as to what to bake for you all for this week's post. Thankfully, Jamie over at MyBakingAddiction came to my rescue in the form of these Twix Brownies. After seeing this recipe (and inadvertently drooling over my laptop) I checked on my Recipe Index to see how many brownies I had listed there. It's quite a sad showing. Yes the Cookie Dough Topped Brownies were a huge hit, but I haven't been giving brownies their due here On Sugar Mountain and I mean to change that. Why the sudden change of heart you may ask?


Well to be truthful I've never been a huge brownie fan. Not that I dislike them, but my longstanding love affair with muffins and just plain old craving for cookies has kept me from realizing the truth...


Brownies are fabulous.



Brownies with candy bar pieces inside of them are out-of-this-world. Really the only reason I did not just at every single one of these brownies is that they need more Twix: a whole layer of side-to-side Twix pieces is in order next time I bake these brownies.

I'll also let you in on a little secret: I have been slacking. Yes, shocking I know, but many a time have I gazed at a brownie recipe, seen that it needed un-sweetened chocolate, and (cringe) used chocolate chips in their place.



What was I thinking? That it was a money-saving, easy substitution, but friends, the unsweetened chocolate is key to establishing a deep, rich chocolate flavor in brownies. I apologize to all brownie lovers; I knew not what I did and I am sorry.

Needless to say you must make these brownies; even if you aren't partial to Twix (though I do not know how such a thought is possible) you can easily substitute Reese's Pieces, Snickers, or any candy that suits your fancy.

Oh, and before I go, did you happen to notice my adorable little milk bottle? Here's another secret for you that I'm sure you'll love: don't spend the money ordering glass milk bottles online. The Starbucks mini Frappuccino bottles, when the plastic wrapper is ripped off, look just like them and you get an excuse to indulge in a deliciously sweet coffee drink!


Happy Baking!


Twix Brownies Via MyBakingAddiction

3/4 cup butter, cut into 1 tbsp cubes
4 oz chopped unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cup flour

16 fun-size Twix Bars, chopped into bite size chunks

1. Preheat oven to 350 and line one 8x8 pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Put butter and chocolate in microwave safe bowl and microwave on 20 second increments until butter completly melts. Then stir until chocolate melts.
3. Whisk in sugar, vanilla, salt, and then eggs until fully incorporated.
4. Slowly stir in flour, mixing until just combined.
5. Pour half of batter into prepared pan, then sprinkle Twix all over the brownies. Cover with remaining brownie batter and then bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into bars.

20 comments:

  1. These brownies are beautiful and perfect, Love to have a bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi!

      Wish I could send you over a few :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica!

      I'll have to start a mail order system :D

      Delete
  3. Love the brownies. Good idea about using the chocolate chips. Never thought of that before. Also like the idea of the milk bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen!

      The chocolate chips are good in a pinch but I am a complete convert to the unsweetened chocolate - it added a serious punch of flavor.

      Delete
  4. Mmm Twix in brownies is the best! I made a white chocolate brownie version and died :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choc Chip Uru!

      White chocolate version? Sign me up! :D

      Delete
  5. I love the little specs of Twix in these! These look wonderful. Great tip about the Starbucks bottle-- I wouldn't have thought of that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee!

      I'm telling you it's such a steal. I checked online at Amazon and specialty stores and the shipping alone is dreadful. This way you get the bottle and a yummy Starbucks' drink. :D

      Delete
  6. Loving this one. Candy inside brownies makes my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim!

      Hearts singing means I've done my job :D I'm interested in trying it with other candies as well (like Snickers!)

      Delete
  7. Yes please!!! These are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ravienomnoms!

      Hope you try them out to enjoy in your own kitchen (and tummy heehee). :D

      Delete
  8. I got one word for you.... YUMMMMMMMMM! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona!

      I really wish I put in MORE twix though. YUM could have been turned into OMGYUM for sure. :D

      Delete
  9. There is one problem that I could see with me and this recipe. How am I supposed to keep from eating the twix before I make them??? :) These sound delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virtual Essence!

      I have the solution for you: buy the "party bag" of Twix from Target; plenty of Twix for you AND the brownies! :D

      Delete
  10. I have such a serious soft spot for brownies AND Twix bars...these look so decadent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cucina49!

      Decadent is definitely an appropriate word - they are so fudgey and the bits of caramel/cookie are absolutely divine. :D

      Delete